Monday, November 17, 2008

Family Home Evening, Taco Soup, and High School Musical 3

Last night our FHE was about Gratitude in preparation for Thanksgiving.  Now that the kids are a little older they all get assignments. I've included the resources used just in case you want to use it for yourself.  In all it took about 10 minutes (just right for small kids), not including the word search.

~I played the opening song on the piano "Listen, Listen" (since that's 1 of the 2 songs I know how to play) while Howie conducted the music.
~Howie gave the opening prayer
~Jack held up the picture of Jesus with the Ten Leapers (Gospel Art Picture Kit # 221) while I read the short version of the story on the back.
~ I read about Gratitude from "True to the Faith", pg 78-79
~Howie read our scripture, D&C 59:7
~I played the closing song on the piano, "Popcorn Popping" (the 2nd, and last song I know how to play) while Erin conducted the music by doing the fun hand motions.
~Howard offered our closing prayer. (Howard isn't on the schedule much for FHE because he's crowd control, meaning his job is to keep Jack happy and reverent...if that's possible for a 2 yr old)
~Our activity was a Thanksgiving word search (we mostly have our closing prayer before the activity because it's generally not very reverent). 


For dinner we had Taco Soup, a yummy recipe given to me from Katie B. when we lived in Washington.  Our kids used to have to gag it down, but then one evening Howie and Erin both gave me a thumbs up and told me how wonderful it was.  Weird huh?

After dinner we had a little surprise for the kids...
We took them to the movies and they literally screamed with delight when we showed up at the base movie theater!  For our family of 5 it only cost us $13.50!  You gotta love military pricing!  But then again we've been paying $4.06 for a gallon of gas since July!!!!
It's a trade off, I guess.  Except we go to the movies less than once a month and we buy gas every 2 weeks.

P.S. High School Musical 3 was a popular FHE, our former Branch President was there with his kids and there were several other LDS families.  I though it was a good movie, and the kids loved it!  If only High School was that much fun. 

No comments: