Thursday, March 26, 2009

Easter Bunny

Ever since my children were babies when we introduced Santa and the Easter Bunny, I've always had the thought in my mind that at some point in the future I have to tell them the truth.  It also concerns me that we as parents outright lie to our children (and do so for many years), all the while trying to instill in them honesty and integrity.  Well...this morning Howie asked me if I could lay something special out on Easter morning for him next to what the Easter Bunny brings. In my mind I'm thinking, "yeah Howie, in case you didn't know it is all from us!"  I told him I would think about it and that I would have to talk with Howard.  I quickly go talk with Howard in private and told him what Howie said.  I thought it was a good time to break the news to Howie about the Easter Bunny.  Howard let me and so I told Howie the Easter Bunny was all pretend.  Howie didn't even flinch.  He said okay, smiled, and told me what he wanted special in his basket.  Apparently to him it doesn't matter who brings him presents, just as long as he gets them.  I did ask Howie if we could still pretend for the other children's sake and he completely agreed.  He even said that he was glad that he wasn't Erin finding out because he thinks she will be sad.  I'm glad the opportunity presented itself without having to make a big deal about it.

1 comment:

moaspen said...

Yeah, I'm thinking after this next Christmas I'll break the news to Moab. We never did the Easter Bunny so we don't have to tell him about that, phew! Love all the pictures!
~shiloh