Wednesday, March 4, 2009

4 Years Ago

Four years ago today we arrived in Okinawa.  Our first place we called home was the Hershey TLF (for about 2 weeks). Looking through my pictures, I found most to be about the bathtubs...fascinating.  I guess I love cute little naked butts! I was amazed at how large and spacious the bathtubs were in Japan.  Here you can see Erin being fussy at not being able to get in herself.  The tub was just as deep as it appeared, there was no illusion.  Howie was 3 years and Erin was 20 months.
Another shot of her and I (you can see my arms wrapped around my legs) in the tub. It's bigger than a kiddie pool, she was swimming around in it!
Our second place we called home in Okinawa was a small apartment off base in Yomitan (north of Kadena Air base).  The bathroom and bathtubs were very different than what we had experienced in our temporary lodging facility.
Here are Howie and Erin playing in the bathroom/laundry room.  It was really quiet and Howard and I went looking for them, this is what we found.  The sink Erin is sitting in should really be in an American RV, it was made out of that type of plastic found in RV's. Also, notice the bars through the bathroom window.  It's very safe in Okinawa, so it's not for protection from burglars.  It's a precaution during a typhoon so that a tree limb or some other object doesn't come crashing into your house during a storm.
Here is the toilet/bathtub room.  VERY different than our swimming pool in TLF.  The room was huge, but all it had was a very small (but very deep) bathtub, toilet, and a shower nozzle sticking out of the wall.  Oh yeah, there was a big drain in the middle of the room as well.  It was also completely covered in tile, top to bottom.
Here you can see the tops of their heads.

1 comment:

The Stutzmans said...

Wow that's crazy. The first thing I noticed about the tubs here was how small they were! I 've been maening to e-mail you lately to see what's up. If I can get a minute to myself sometime this week expect to hear from me (: