Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Story of a Chair

When my Grandma died, my Mother inherited all her stuff.  Now that my Mom is gone, all that stuff was up for grabs.  I was fortunate to be able to get this lovely step-chair, featured on the left side of this photo dating back to 1964.

Update: I just learned from my Uncle Rick that my Grandmother received this as a housewarming present when we was 6 years old in Iowa.  It is 58 years old.

This photo was taken in my Grandmother's dining room, but for as long as I could remember this chair was always in the kitchen.  It was next to the stove, under the rotary dial wall phone, near where the ladies are standing in the photo.


It doesn't look too bad here, but it definitely needed some work! It was a rusty little devil!


The chair top was nasty and we learned that it wasn't original, because it didn't match the back rest.


As I took it apart, I could hear my Mother yelling at me to stop, "Don't mess up my chair, it's fine just the way it is!"


Mommy's little helper.


Once upon a time, this beauty was yellow.  Who would have guessed?


The finished product!


I originally pictured in my mind using a sparkly ruby colored vinyl to fix it up, but I decided to keep it neutral for two reasons. 1. To keep with the original style and 2. I love redecorating when we move, so I need to have it blend in to any decor.  The vinyl came from the remnant section at the fabric store and we used chrome spray paint on the chrome and tan paint on the steps and trim.  The black tread needed to be replaced, so we (read:Howard) taped it off and sprayed black truck bed liner on it for the rubberized look.

Okay, here's the truth.  I took it apart, bought the supplies to fix it up, sanded for about 10 minutes and turned it over to Howard to finish.  He did a beautiful job!  It's a family gem worth more in memories than in value.  Thank you to Ted and my sisters who let me have it.  It will be used and loved very much. 






3 comments:

who? me?! said...

looks great! way to go guys!

Angela Draper said...

The chair looks great! You guys are so talented. And I think my grandma has a stool like that. I absolutely love having furniture with a history. Priceless!

joeandchelle said...

I love this chair!!! My grandma had one just like it and it was yellow too! I wish she still had it so I could re-vamp it too! Good job! It brings back so many memories just looking at it! :)