Thursday, February 12, 2009

Induction Cancelled


My induction was cancelled for the 19th, why you ask?  Because Luke decided to come on his own a little sooner (thank goodness!!).  Regular and consistent contractions started about 6pm on Monday the 9th.  I tried to ignore them for as long as possible until I eventually started timing them.  To my surprise they were 4 minutes apart.  I wanted to go to the hospital, but Howard wanted to wait until they were a little stronger (he thought the contractions would stop, we've always had a false alarm with every other kid and he thought this was the same).  By 11:45pm we left for the hospital and Luke finally arrived Tuesday afternoon at 2:11pm.  
Yes...I was in labor for about 20 HOURS!!! 
I got my epidural about 10 hours into it (I'm so glad I got one) and towards the end Luke wasn't doing so great so I had to have an Amniotic Transfusion (they basically put amniotic fluid back into my body after my water already broke) and Luke eventually floated back into a favorable position so I could push him out.  He had been pushing into my hip for many painful hours, but we didn't know that until later. Pushing only took 4 MINUTES and most of that time was waiting for 2 contractions to push him out.  No damage was done coming out and I feel GREAT now.

Howard assisted in Luke's delivery at our request and my Nurse Midwife guided him in the process.
Lucas Dillon Parkes
 6lbs. 7.4 oz., 19 3/4 inches long
February 10, 2009 2:11pm
Howard giving Luke his first bath.

I have plenty more to write, but I'll save it for later.   I need my rest.

10 comments:

rylissite said...

I'm so glad you're feeling well! He looks so cute, even screaming! Congratulations Tina, I'm so happy for you!

The Roderick Family said...

Congrats!! How fun to have a new baby. Sounds like things went pretty well, despite the long labor. Keep the pictures coming.

Bodell Family said...

Congratulations guys! He looks adorable! What do the other kids think of him?

moaspen said...

congratulations Tina and family! Thanks for letting us know and for the pictures. Get lots of rest!
~shiloh

Shaulan said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you! Sorry that the labor took so long, but you did an amazing job of hanging in there! Take it easy! We wish you the very best!

Sara Rose said...

Congrats!!! Luke is beautiful!!! And Howie sorry Howard looks like a natural with the baby bath!! Keep getting as much rest as you can! I know #4 is the hardest to get the rest with so take any chance you get!! PS when can we expect #5?? JK Love you all!!

SueAnn said...

Congrats!! We are excited for you. Sorry to hear about the long labor. He is a cutie and I'm sure he will be as wonderful as the rest!!

Dahle Family said...

Congratulations. I am so glad that all went well. Let us know if you guys need anything. What a sweet special addition to your family.

Angela Draper said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful and I'm so glad that everything ended up going alright. 20 hours is a long time. You're amazing!

Jay and Kara Barney said...

He is so darling. Congrats to all of you.