Sunday, September 12, 2010

Oakridge Camp

The Tinker Youth Center put together a family retreat for families of recent pre/current/post deployed families. It was a weekend getaway to Oakridge Camp & Retreat Center in Anadarko, OK. I picked the kids up from school and we went straight there. We had a lot of fun, but I wasn't able to take a lot of photos because we were having too much fun. It was so nice to get away, unwind, and relax. No cooking, cleaning, or laundry! Just family fun!

We still managed to have our Friday family movie night on our little 7" portable DVD player. The kids were happy.

Saturday morning the kids really got creative before the scheduled activities started.
Ready...Set...

go!

Go ahead and judge my parenting skills...we had a wonderful time, no one got hurt, and we have excellent health insurance! I wanted to do it, but I would have probably broken the bed.

You're probably wondering why I'm taking pictures of the shower in our room. Here's the story... When Howard and I were newlyweds, Howard was we were too cheap to get a hotel room whenever we traveled. We slept in the car (very uncomfortable). I begged We finally decided to get a room during one of our travels and it was a very cheap (scary) motel. The thing we remember the most about it was the "dungeon" shower. It was scary! After 9 years, I've finally found a shower to top that experience. It was a tall tin box and very small. I honestly don't know how a heavy set person would be able to use the shower. I put Howie and Jack in at the same time and it was a tight squeeze for both of them!

We only took one shower all weekend. I just made sure I wore extra deodorant.

On Sunday during lunch time, Jack fell asleep on the couch. He was exhausted from a busy weekend. Too bad he was Howie's unsuspecting victim of a cookie crime. If you know Jack well, you would know that he HATES being dirty. Especially food on his face/mouth area.


Erin finishing up her lunch right before we left for church. Thank goodness we have afternoon church!

Here's a general view of our eating/common area. We had a lot of fun playing games, ping pong, and other various activities this weekend.

The main event of the weekend was our guest speaker, Trevor Romain. Saturday morning, childcare was provided so the adults could listen to him speak. There was a lot of laughter and tears, he's such a wonderful person! Sunday morning was the children's session. Jack and Luke went to the babysitting area while Howie, Erin and I listened about how to express our feelings while Dad is away. He also touched on the topic of bullying. He's written many books and I plan on adding him to our home library!

2 comments:

The Aguilars' said...

How fun. I love the jumping on the bed. You are an awesome mom!!!!!

Bodell Family said...

I was thinking the same thing!! I would have loved to jump on the bed too!! You're a great mom!