Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Mini Vacation

I've been really busy at home this week preparing for my outpatient procedure that turned into an inpatient hospital stay. I went in Friday for a Veinoscan, which is a diagnostic procedure in preparation for my varicose vein surgery coming up in the next few weeks. It turned out that I had several varicose veins, including my ovarian vein, that was bad in my lower abdomen. The doctor put a coil on several veins throughout my lower abdomen. Here is a picture of my ovarian vein and the large coil used. Because the hospital was behind schedule (surprise, surprise) my 2 hour procedure didn't even start until 3pm. Afterwards I had to lay perfectly flat for several hours to make sure any bleeding stopped. Once I was able to get up, I still needed assistance walking and since it was so late, I just stayed the night. I was discharged first thing this morning and was home by 9:30am. I'm so glad to be home. At first I was excited to get a mini vacation. Dinner and breakfast in bed sounds good to me! But I quickly became board, missed the kids, and couldn't wait to get home. Since it wasn't a planned overnight visit, I wasn't properly prepared with any personal items.

Anyway, I'm just happy to be home and I wanted to share with everyone what I've been up to this week.

Because I was a vascular patient, I stayed in the cardiac wing. When I got up for my first walk, the nurse told me that everyone was staring at me because I was the youngest patient there. Again this morning a different nurse told me it was nice having someone so young, because they normally consider 50 young on that wing of the hospital. Most patients are in their 60's and 70's.

1 comment:

Angela Draper said...

I'm glad that you are home safe and sound and that it sounds like the procedure went well, if a little late. I hope all continues to go well!