Sunday, June 20, 2010

Our Very Happy Anniversary

On Thursday June 17th Howard and I were lucky enough to be able to spend out 10 year wedding anniversary together. Aside from when I found out that I was pregnant with Luke on our 8th anniversary, this was by far the best one yet. But we've been apart on 3 previous anniversaries (2004, 2006, 2009) because of the military. Normally we don't do much, but we have a wonderful lady at church who has turned into our surrogate mom and she wanted us to have a special day. She recently babysat for us twice just while Howard was home. And I'm not talking about a 2 hour date...I'm talking about 6-7 hour dates. She's awesome! Coming home to a clean house, happy children, and my laundry finished is wonderful. The date isn't ruined by coming home to a house full of chaos!
Here's a recap of our special day made possible by Kaye.

Just before we headed out for the day. Kaye took this picture of us.

Our first stop was the OKC Museum of Art. They had a wonderful temporary exhibit on film costumes. We were able to see Charlie Chaplin's original hat and shoes, dresses from Gone With the Wind, and numerous other Hollywood costumes. It was really a great sight, unfortunately photography was not permitted. The permanent glass exhibit was by far the best they had to offer (besides the restaurant). I think I would have liked it more if I wasn't use to the J. Paul Getty Museum in So Cal or the Western Art Museum in Tokyo. Those were incredible!

More glass...

A view from the third floor of the glass tower in the lobby.

There was an entire room of modern art devoted to loose leaf paper. I was extremely dissatisfied with this particular "art". Howard and I couldn't believe they would actually display this in a museum. Erin and Howie have better artwork than this junk.

Here is some more glass artwork in the ceiling. Truly breathtaking.

The museum was quite smaller than we were expecting, so we decided to grab an afternoon treat before we went to the movies.

My Creme Brulee was heavenly.

Howard said he could have eaten 2 plates of his dessert, Lemon Cake.

Once we were done with our treat we went and saw The A-Team. It was so much better than I was expecting. It had a lot of military humor/overtones that Howard and I particularly enjoyed. I think it was my favorite movie I've seen all summer.

After the movie we went to our favorite sushi restaurant, Sushi Hayashi. It's near the corner of S. Penn and SW 104th in SW OKC. It's our third time going and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for good sushi rolls in OKC. The Philidelphia Roll is my favorite!

To finish the night off we had to make a quick run to Walmart for some milk.
It's not too often that we get to go shopping together without the kids.


I also wanted to brag about Howard a little bit more. Leading up to our anniversary he did something like "10 Days of Love". 10 days before our anniversary I was presented with a single rose and beautiful quote about love. Each day this continued, with new and more thoughtful quotes each day. On our anniversary Howard presented me with a framed poem that he wrote for me. It's in our bedroom next to our photograph. Howard wanted to get me something "big" for our anniversary this year, but all I wanted from him was effort, in thought and deed. I made clear my desires and was very pleased with what he delivered. I've been reading my little love notes each day that he has been gone now. It helps me remember the time we we had together.
It was a magical day that I will remember always.

1 comment:

Amber said...

That is so sweet. I am glad you were able to have such a special anniversary-especially right before Howard left. Congrats on 10 years!