Monday, May 28, 2012

Greenleaf State Park Camping Trip


We went to Greenleaf State Park in eastern Oklahoma for Memorial Day weekend. It was by far the best camping trip that we've ever taken. It helps that I'm not pregnant and that all of the kids are out of diapers and walking. Babies really kill the outdoorsman adventurer in me! 

We had perfect weather, met some great people, and thoroughly enjoyed our time outdoors.  I can't wait to go back! We camped from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon.

 Here we are the first afternoon looking for firewood near our campsite. It's nice that the kids are useful for camping chores now.
 
 Saturday we rented a paddle boat for the day, but after an hour the kids were tired and Luke even fell asleep. The dock attendant was kind enough to switch it out for a motor boat for 1 hour so that we got our money's worth. The motor boat was much better because we were all able to go on it together.

  Enjoying some quiet time before we hit the lake later that afternoon.




 The lake was so fun. It brought back a lot of memories on the lake with my Dad. He was an avid fisherman.
 

 With enough cropping, an 8 year old can take a decent picture!

On Sunday afternoon I went kayaking by myself for an hour. It was wonderful! I couldn't take my camera since it's not waterproof, but I loved every minute I was out on the water. I really look forward to more family trips like this (weather, schedule, and money permitting).
  
 We really wanted to hike to this bridge, but we were unable to. We attempted it on Monday afternoon, but the kids couldn't last that long.  The trail was too long for the little kids, maybe next time.
 
 At the "beach" swimming.
 
My favorite picture!
Just too cute to not share.

 Making sand creations.

Just relaxing!

I went out and swam with them a lot. Normally I don't care to swim in lakes, but this was very pleasant. We spent some time at the pool, but the lake was so much nicer (and free).

  Our very kind camp neighbors (a widower and his two little girls, ages 4 and 6) had a Jr 4 wheeler. The 6 year old drove Luke around very carefully. It was so cute. All of the kids got a turn, but Luke was the only one who didn't drive himself.

On Monday morning Howard and Howie went out with the guys to ride on the large 4 wheeler. I stayed back with the kids and took them to the little park near our campsite.

 This is Trinity. They're going to get married when they are older. At least that's what Jack tells us. I think Trinity would like that. Trinity's family came to camp on Sunday and I think it was love at first sight for Jack. He was pretty sad we left her.
 
 Monday morning I found them cuddling in the hammock. Seriously too cute. If he was any older I would have separated them, but there's something about their innocence that makes it incredibly sweet.

Luke decided that he was going to "read" the map. He kept telling us where to go.

This was the beginning of our attempt to reach the swinging bridge, but we learned very quickly that the kids weren't going to make it, so we turned around after 15-20 minutes. We thought the bridge was close, but after studying the map and traveling a little ways, it would have been at least a half day hike, and we were not prepared.




1 comment:

Jennifer Brammer said...

Looks like a lot of fun!!