Friday, June 26, 2009

3rd Times the Charm

As most of you know I really enjoy decorating, and getting a new home meant that I was able to redecorate.  It's so fun picking out colors, but for those of you who know me really well, it's REALLY REALLY hard for me to make up my mind.  We were so blessed to have Howard with us for a week before he had to leave and while he was here he painted the kitchen, dining room, play room, living room, and our bedroom.  Out of all the rooms, I kept having a nagging feeling that the paint in the living room wasn't quite the right color.  All of a sudden out of the blue I got a horrible nagging feeling that I needed to fix the color and get it done right away.  So on Wednesday I set out to make it right.  I didn't get the color right the second time either, but I had sense enough to stop after I painted the trim, because I could tell it wasn't what I was going for.  Finally after 3 visits to Lowes in 1 day I got it right.  I finished that night at 12:30am.
From left to right - "Lettuce" our original color, "fennel" not quite pale green, almost off white like the horrible masking tape color of base housing in Okinawa. Lastly, "nutria", just the right shade for my living room.  I love to just sit in there and stare at the walls.  Good thing too, since that's all there is to do in that room currently.
On the left is our new color, and on the right is the old one. (It was only 2 weeks old.) 
The new shade is a bit more olive and a little less pastel.
I know why I felt such an urgency to paint.  The very next day, on Thursday, I got a call from TMO informing me that our last shipment has arrived and is ready for delivery.  I will be getting it on Monday.  Yippie!  Once I get everything pretty and in place I will post more pictures.

From this experience I learned a few things that I want to share.
1. Only buy a gallon of paint if you're 110% sure that it's the color you want.  If you have even a hint of uncertainty, buy a small sample can.  I learned the expensive way.
2. Just because it's a good color on the card, doesn't mean it will look the same on your wall.  Lighting changes it!

Disclaimer: The wall color looks okay in photos, but in real life it looks much better, I promise.

1 comment:

Sara Rose said...

That is almost the same solor as my living room!! I LOVE THAT COLOR!!!! I think when we move it will get painted on something or everything there too!!! It's a great color that goes with almost anything!! it looks great! Go you!!