Sunday, May 8, 2011

I LOVE Flowers

First off, I want to say I am in no way trying to be boastful in regards to this post.  Amazing things are happening from a small idea that I had and God took over and turned into into something more.  He gets all the credit!

Our family volunteers at the City Rescue Mission two Sunday's a month in the kitchen.  It has been a wonderful opportunity to show the kids how to serve others outside of our comfort zone.  It has also been wonderful for me because it has given me a greater sense of accomplishment.  Cleaning house and changing diapers just isn't as fulfilling as I would like.  I love being a homemaker, but I also want to do something that has more immediate results.

On Thursday it occurred to me that all the mother's at the homeless shelter will probably not be getting anything special for Mother's day.  That just broke my heart.  I wanted to do something, but we don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on these people.  Then the idea came, how about we get some flower shops to donate their left over flowers at the end of the day and we could give each Mom a single flower.  

Friday morning I started calling without much luck, but a kind florist suggested I call a wholesale florist. I hadn't thought of that, so I proceeded to make some calls.  Not much luck, until finally a wholesaler said okay.  He donated 100 iris'.  Everyone else I called told me to call back on Saturday.

Saturday morning came and I made phone calls while Howard did the leg work.  Howard went to go pick up some flowers, but accidentally went to the wrong place.  What a blessing!  The wrong place (after initially saying NO on Friday) donated 100 carnations!  To make a long story short, blessing after blessing poured out!  We were given hundreds of flowers, greenery, baby's breath, ribbon, and wrapping!  So in the end we aren't just able to provide a single flower to each mother as planned, but a small bouquet. 

 In all we made 164 bouquets!



Saturday morning...this was just the beginning!


Finishing up the last of the bouquets.


All ready to go!


Erin loves flowers as much as I do!


Just for fun!

3 comments:

jaysha said...

Wow Tina! That is a very inspiring story! Thank you for sharing it!! Love, Jamie

Jennifer Brammer said...

That's awesome! What a good idea! I'm glad it worked out and you were able to get so many flowers!

who? me?! said...

I don't think it's boastful at all. It's a great thing you and your family did. Truly beautiful.